Lets talk Shaman Healing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiuh
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shua =)

I know I've changed spec a lot. I've tried an elemental/resto spec, an enhance/resto spec, and a pretty much pure resto, now. I levelled with the Enhance/resto though. Kyuso and I partied up through the levels and grouped together a lot. I got to tank AND heal. Weeeeee!
Vutak
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiuh wrote:
Hey Vutak, I meant to thank you for the praise =)

So Thanks =) I appreciate you using yer woof to keep things from eating my face.

I'm curious though, what adaptations did you need to make? Being able to warn people who have never been with a shammy healer is useful, so I try to gather as much info as possible.

Frankly, there aren't a zillion changes you have to make when you have a shaman healer versus a priest or druid. The largest barrier is, I feel, mental. A group that believes it will fail because "we don't have a priest!!" will likely fail... it's the same mental hump as accepting a druid as your main heal. The truth behind it all is that it really doesn't make a lick of difference -how- someone is healing you, as long as you remain alive.

As for our run, I have to admit, I don't remember making any tactical changes (other than not marking a shackle target Razz) and all I really had in mind when I said, "it takes is a little adapting" is to be careful. Even after having seen you in action and based on this discussion, I'm afraid I haven't much to add. The base ideas are always the same: do your best to mitigate damage, keep the mobs off the healer.

Tiuh

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Frankly, there aren't a zillion changes you have to make when you have a shaman healer versus a priest or druid. The largest barrier is, I feel, mental. A group that believes it will fail because "we don't have a priest!!" will likely fail... it's the same mental hump as accepting a druid as your main heal. The truth behind it all is that it really doesn't make a lick of difference -how- someone is healing you, as long as you remain alive.

Ahhh, I see. Cool =) Thanks for the clarification.
Shuatahu

Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have not noticed a need for changing tactics as much for a non-priest healer as much as a non-warrior tank. When tanking on my Paladin, for example, I needed a longer amount of "alone time" with a mob before others could reliably pound on it without pulling it off me. Druid tanks seem to require less "alone time."

Mana difficulties (ie: needing to drink after each fight / pull) are the only noticable difference I have seen playing Shu as a healer and I attibute that mainly to his spec (no points in Resto at the moment).
Vutak
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds about right, Shua, since mana efficiency is pretty much the biggest difference between shamans and druids/priests. The only other thing I can think of that might change is the moment you perk up and think, "oh geez, I'd better drink a pot," but this has just as much to do with the individual healer's style as their class.

Brannwyn
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: respeccing ideas...C&C desired... Reply with quote

My present idea for my 60 (come free respec) build would be:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/bc-shaman/talents.html?5500000000000000000000000000000000000000005235001055010515021

the idea being...my heals don't generate aggro...and most of my spells are really affordable so that i can cast what i need to. But my shocks and damage will draw it if I want it (aggro that is...) .

But if I do THIS...

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/bc-shaman/talents.html?5500010000000000000000000000000000000000005235001355310515321

(ponders the free cast instant chain lightning from Natures swiftness during a well timed clear cast...with the 5% extra crit from talents and at least...with the extra crit% from gear...and..../drool.../ponders elemental respec)
Shuatahu

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having pretty much the same debate with myself, Brann. I suspect we'll be getting our respec prior to me hitting 60, so I may just dump everything into enhancement so I can grind more efficently. I've also debated switching to an elemental / resto build for PvP and end game since my mail-wearing butt would probably get handed to me if I tried to close with an enemy in PvP. OoOoOo, and instant cast chain lighting /drool.
Tiuh

Items

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently elemental is one of the better grinding specs come TBC. Check http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=50726219&sid=1.

Come the patch I'll be doing this:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/bc-shaman/talents.html?0000000000000000000000000000000000000000055005051350010515321

Not sure where I'm gonna put my other points yet because I like the armor buff, the stun resist, the extra mana from enhance, and the healing way talent.

I'm thinking of this come 70. It'll give me incredible survivability in pvp, but low damage. However! Seeing as I'm going to be doing team combat that's alright. I'll be support, mainly, and that's okay from me.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/bc-shaman/talents.html?0000000000000000000050000000000000000000055035051350313515321

Now I'd also thought of something like this:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/bc-shaman/talents.html?5500015000000000000000000000000000000000050005051350013515321

It would allow for more damage in pvp while keeping my healing efficiency.

Not sure yet. Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> Healers' Hall All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: