Bad Moon Rising :: View topic - Raiding is Serious Business

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in  

Raiding is Serious Business
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> The Great Hunt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrical
Unknown

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just dinged 70, I'm working on getting Lyrical better geared to improve her DPS. I also specced out of Demonology (my build was more for soloing or PvP) and into Affliction. This was a huge playstyle difference for me and after numerous deaths and some helpful tips from Poknok and Ioan, I'm getting into the swing of things.

I'm very open to tips and suggestions. If we're in a group situation and you see there's something I could be doing better, please let me know. Constructive criticism is the way we learn and improve.

I do want to participate in more instance runs to get Lyri better geared for endgame content. We've been having a lot of family visitors the past couple of weeks so it's been hard to sit down and have non-interrupted play but things should be settling down.

My Herbalism is at 375 and my Alchemy is at 326. I will be working up Alchemy to the cap and can help with potion supply.
Thawr
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waverley's post really shows what the role of shadow priests is supposed to be in raiding. They're "mana batteries", regenerating the party's mana is their main strength (no other class/spec can do this, and the healing they provide is an added bonus in a raid setting). Having said this, a shadow priest (or any class for that matter) has to be well geared before starting to raid. Like Razi said, the benchmark is to have around +600 spell damage bonus before you start raiding. This should be easy to get by running the level 70 instances, and farming up for a couple of enchants. Shadow priests must focus on +spelldamage first and foremost since the majority of their damage comes from DoT (SW:P, VT) and channeled spells (Mind Flay). Spell crit is not really needed, but if you have it, it doesn't hurt. Shadow priests do not need + healing gear at all. Their role is DPS and mana regeneration; both of these depend on +spell damage.

Finally, to maximize the shadow priest's utility, you have to watch your mana in a raid setting. Keep up your mana efficient spells at all times (SW:P and MF), while saving the mana heavy, but high damage spells for when Vampiric Touch is up. This is so that you will maximize your damage output in the short span when Vampiric Touch is on the mob, therefore maximizing the mana returned to the party.

That's pretty much it for shadow priests. If you respecced from a healing spec, it's good to keep your healing gear for the occasional instance you might need to heal.
Poknok
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: On the Subject of Shadows and maybe also Stabbing Reply with quote

I agree fully that Ioan's damage comes more during boss fights and less during trash mobs. I also agree that, like a lot of the pack, a few gear upgrades could make a considerable difference. I mean, I'm in full Shadoweave for cryin' out loud.

Also going to agree that the benefit derived from shadow priests is directly related to their damage output. Here I'm referencing Meltiece, whom I consider a perfectly reliable authority on the subject.

Finally, I'm really curious how the Mutilate experiment went.
Jinba
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thawr and Wav have it spot on with regard to shadow priests. Jinba's role should be to take some stress off the healers with VE and help prolong mana with VT. That said, one of the biggest issues I saw Saturday (and im not excluding myself from this..i dont know if i helped or hurt so feedback is welcome!) was aggro management. Certainly, many non-tanks engaged too early with DPS it seemed (in the opera battle specifically) and I saw too many times the boss would wipe the tank's threat and destroy a clothie.

I say this because, at times, we managed well when the tank lost aggro by protecting the victim until our tanks grabbed the boss' attention. Those times went so smoothly (the final Morose fight was well done!). To me, from my vantage point in Kara, this was more of an issue than spec buildouts.

That said, for Shadow Priests, that early talent of lessening threat by 15% or whatever seems essential in these places...which is why Jinba respecced a few months ago for it. Wink
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tanks never once lost aggro to the dps and in fact Moroes does not aggro wipe per se. What he does do is gouge and blind.

The reason we have two tanks on him is because if he gouges the main he'll switch to the second. If the off tank is blinded at the same time as the main tank is gouged Moroes will go after the next highest aggro. This is why it's important to keep blind removed.

The above situation only happened once during all the Moroes battles. What happened more often, from my perspective, is Nibaw was dying and I had to become mt. Without an offtank whenever I was gouged moroes would kill someone.

Frankly, unless the boss is very low, maybe 20% the raid probably won't survive with only one tank.

so? don't let your tanks die Razz
Poknok
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that in the Opera battle it is impossible to engage DPS too early. Dorothy doesn't have an aggro table; she just slings bolts around at random.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> The Great Hunt All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: