Bad Moon Rising :: View topic - GC on some new threat changes

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in  

GC on some new threat changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roshanar
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: GC on some new threat changes Reply with quote

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3300854

I like the sound of this, personally!
Keryn
Pack Alpha
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I haven't tanked in years, so have no idea how things currently stand, but I'm wondering how tank swaps like the one in the last part of the Shannox fight (where tank damage overwhelms the healing available and the MT dies) will happen. Will Zand be able to simply Taunt the boss (or whatever the big DK 'look at me!' ability is going to be in the new Threatless world) and semi-instantly have aggro? Will the DPS need to stop DPSing at that point to make sure that Zand's the next person to hit him if/when Nibaw goes down?

Watching your threat level has been important for so long, I can't imagine what we'll do without it! No more rabid aggro monkeying? No more Raja tanking the floor?

What's the world coming to!!!?!

(It'll be interesting, that's for sure!)
Redwater
Council Member
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who used to tank lots, and still tanks on occasion, I rather like what they had to say about the changes.

In terms of Shannox, I think it would actually make the 'tank switch' easier, rather than harder. In there, I saw nothing about changing how taunting works, and in this fight, the mobs are immune to taunts. BUT, Zand's problem is that he has no way to overcome the threat that the DPS has built up while he's tanking the dog. This change would increase his threat generation, enough that I think he would be able to overcome the DPS at least. This also lets Nibaw get to the point of 'stop generating threat' sooner if he chooses to, which would theoretically let Zand overcome and take Shannox off him.

Basically, I'm seeing this as moving threat into the realm of Tanks only (so long as they have their appropriate ability up). Yes, it takes away from the fun of Aggro monkies, but then, they get to unleash on the target without worry. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Rajindo
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem kind of odd that DKs are the only ones that want hit. And yes it should help in the shannox fight.

*shrug* Making tanking active is a good idea.
Redwater
Council Member
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to disagree that they;re the only ones that DEFINITELY want it. Its very noticable when things miss for me right now. Missing a melee swing, not such a big deal, but if a Shield of the Righteous misses, its a bigger deal, especially if I'm tanking for a raid geared DPS.

That said, the key things that keep me being able to tank (Judgements for mana, taunts) all have been moved to systems that don't require hit to be effective...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jeollyn
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a VERY long article. Summary: We're changing threat so that tanks generate five times damage instead of three times. We don't know what else we're going to do to make that work yet.

Personally I'm worried that's going to make tanking dungeons as opposed to raids very boring. Razz
Kun Felhoof
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've had issues on my poor bear with threat, though granted that was before the bear damage scaling changes (I haven't tried since then). Hopefully this puts less emphasis on threat and more emphasis on survival and initial picking-up of mobs, which is what I found personally the most enjoyable parts of tanking. Then again, I usually ran with really good healers, so I got away with murder. XD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> The Citadel All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: