Bad Moon Rising :: View topic - The Way Priests Heal . . .

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in  

The Way Priests Heal . . .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zurasha
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: The Way Priests Heal . . . Reply with quote

As Tiuh was so generous to share with us about shaman healing and indeed requested a thread about priest healing, its only fair to provide...

I will work on it in parts but as there are different ways that shammies heal, so too are there different ways that priests heal so my explanation fits only my playstyle and developed persona. As you've seen with the posts about POH, we all do things slightly differently but posting here and discussing excites me because I feel like we all learn something, whether it be to try something a little different or just be aware of how a fellow player works his/her magic
*picks thread up and puts it back on track*

As a Disc/holy priest with 31/20/0 my style is vastly different than the 11/5/33 in shadow that I was before I respecced at 58. I've also picked up more +healing gear which has allowed me to evolve.

Basic Healing Spells on my hotbars: (Disclaimer the values have been taken from Thottbot I shall have to double check them with my interface when I get home)

Greater Heal (Gheal) Ranks 1 (899-1013 for 370 mana) & 4 (EDITED BECAUSE THOTBOT IS STUPID -real numbers to be posted soon)

Heal: Rank 4 (712-804 for 305 mana) and 2 (429-491 for 205 mana)

Flash Heal: Rank 7 (812-958) and Rank 5 (518-616 for 265)

Renew: Rank 10 (970 over 15 secs for 410 mana)

Other priests, please chime in too.

EDIT 2: So Thotbot doesnt know what its talking about, must spend time to write these things down.

Last edited by Zurasha on Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Tiuh
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooool.

*looks over the heals*

Wow, highest rank greater heal sure has a range, eh? 1000-2000, Isn't that kinda unreliable?

I like Greater heal 1 and Heal rank 4. Trade you? Wink
Feywaif
Unknown

Items

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zarusha, its definitely interesting to see how others heal. I'v made some changes in my healing style based on these discussions as well as things I've learned now that I'm working with other healers. I'd be interested in seeing your spec. I just respecced about a week ago and this is my newest spec.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/priest/talents.html?50520013040010023505103030202400000000000000000
Zurasha
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my current talent spec.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/priest/talents.html?50520013050513122505100032000000000000000000000

I'm focused on having a lot of mana to play with as I grow and learn and adjust my style. I keep the Power Infusion because, while it is not necessary in all situations, I have been in enough situations where it has made a difference. Throw that sucker on a dps'er to get that extra add down so people can start regening or on a healer to get a tiny bit more oomph when mana is short.

Maintenence healing: I use the heal rank 4 or even rank 2 if I just want to top someone off if no one is in danger and we need to keep moving. This is primarily on a tank or dps'er who's currently taking damage due to AOE'ing. Everyone else gets a renew unless their health is dropping sharply. From time to time I'll toss in a gheal rank 1 as well.

Intermediate healing- the person is dropping drastically or is at less than half health but I know I'm going to be able to land the 2.5 seconds it takes to cast a gheal I'll select between gheal ranks 1 and 4, depending on the person's HP, and how far down they are. I will generally stabilize whomever is in danger and then go immediately back to making sure the heal priority is taken care of.

Emergency Healing- almost always flash heal, usually the higher rank on a tank, lower rank on dps because I can stabilize them more readily. Sometimes, if its really really dire looking I'll try to cast a renew (instant cast) and then immediately the flash because even if it gives them only one tick, if it keeps their hps enough that they can wait on the flash and then the gheal then it was worth it. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't but its just a panic thing I do sometimes when it looks like I'm going to lose someone anyway and it has saved people on occasion.
Sethira
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know, its an old thread, but still relevant!

So how will Brecken heal you? Should you find yourself in an instance with the pleasant, smiling old priest here's what to expect.

Brecken I'm the main tank and I have huge health and lots 'o armor. I like the big heal. Its mana efficient, it heals a lot and if I manage to pull it off without letting you die, it means my internal clock is still working. If you are the main tank this will be the heal you get most often assuming the pull or fight has not turned chaotic. So if you see your health at 50% and you have received your heal, fear not its coming. However should you drop below 25% and you don't see the pretty white lights on my hands, something has gone wrong and its time to pop a potion. Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

But Brecken, I'm not a main tank, will I get the big heal too? Yes you will but not nearly as often. If you are not the main tank and you have taken damage, chances are you got hit by a cleave, AOE, or as I see more often in TBC, a random targeted ranged attack. Now unless i know differently, this means you are not due for additional damage any time soon. You get a nice HOT renew spell. Now if you have pulled aggro and you are on the soft side, like a clothie or leather type, you will get the shield and probably a flash heal, then a renew.

Brecken chaos, its chaos I say! Relax my friend, I have heals for all, but now I will be spamming them to all those in need. Well almost all. The tank and healer are my main focus on a bad pull or fight where CC has all but disappeared. After I ensure their survival I will do all I can to keep everyone alive, but know that fight by fight, I am thinking of who, should the decision have to be made, I can let die and still win the fight. I should point out that I never find it acceptable to let some one die as a course of action. But sometimes it happens and if I can help the party by controlling who, I will.

I have summed up what I generally do in a 5 man instance. For raids, the scenario changes a bit, but thats for another time. I tried to avoid being technical here since I want non-healers to know what to expect from me. Although I did not have to simplify this too much. I am a simple healer and always have been. I don't use lower ranks of spells and I rarely pull a healing "trick" out of my bag. Damage done = damage healed.

Hope this helps. Smile

Edit: I should mention that you may often see me casting a long heal, such as greater heal or prayer of healing only to take a step forward and cancel it. I do this often in anticipation of large damage so that the heal goes off shortly after the damage is dealt. If the damage hasn't happened before the cast timer is full I cancel the spell and start over again.

Last edited by Sethira on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Waverley

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One additional comment to Brecken's lovely post. If everyone drops by 20-30 percent due to an AOE effect, I will often use Prayer of Healing (group heal) to recoup everyone's health.

I don't use Greater Heal as much as I should, due to personal insecurities, but I've been working on using it more. I never use it on boss fights - I just don't have the nerve for it Wink
Zurasha
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different styles for different folks. I think I'm very very dependent on Gheal and heal rank 4 especially now that more +healing is available. My style relies on timing the gheals correctly and I start to get nervous if I'm forced to pull out a flash. Granted, both of the styles are more forgiving now (slow heals timed vs. quick heals and hot's) with the large amount of +healing available. The multiple target heals have also become far more useful with +healing gear (prayer of healing, prayer of mending, binding heal).

I know they're not necessarily as mana efficient according to the number crunchers but I also like using the new abilities, prayer of mending and binding heal. Binding heal allows you to heal yourself and someone else (the target) for just over 1000 and somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 with gear and can crit up to 1900. This is nice for where you desperately need to heal the tank and yourself. Prayer of mending is nice in fights where lots of people are taking damage. It heals them the next time they take damage for about 800 (without gear, I've noticed it at a little over 1000 with gear, seems to scale rather badly since I have +650 or so healing) and then jumps to the next person in the party. This is nice because I know the tank will proc it, its his job to get hit! And then it jumps to another random party member who might get hit in the next 30 seconds. Each time it jumps it lasts 30 seconds....so the more people get hit, the more they get healed!

Basically I love that the +healing gear has allowed us all to find better ways of making us comfortable in our styles!
Waverley

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not gotten my Prayer of Mending yet - looking forward to it. So far binding heal is just sitting on my bar Sad seems an extravagant use of mana for just Gorm and I Wink but I'll try it and see.
Zurasha
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in regular grouping situations you are correct, it is an extravagent use of mana. I really like your selection of the word extravagent. I really found no use for it until I got into Underbog, Mana Tombs, etc. That was when it started becoming critical...when a mob broke cc and started beating on me but the tank needs a heal like 5 seconds ago or they will go down. It's like flash heal version (shorter cast time) of prayer of healing!

I think it'd be a good idea to try it out a few times just so you get used to the mechanics. And you get used to not being silly like me and mistakenly trying to cast it on yourself or while having nothing targeted (you get an error message Smile ))
Vutak
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okiedokie... So let's talk about new heals then, shall we? Please keep in mind I've never played a priest past L30, so I'm largely theorizing here, but I agree that holy & disc priests are relatively unpopular lately and... well... you know me, I love an underdog. Very Happy

Arrow Binding Heal: 1042-1338 to target & caster for 1034 mana (1.5sec cast)
(... compare to Flash R9: 1101-1279 for 470 mana/1.5 sec)
This is just lovely. I'm guessing/hoping this benefits twice from +heal, which would, in my mind, make up for the extra (~150) mana cost. It's double cost is, of course, made up by the fact that it's twice as time-efficient. It really is just two flash heals in one.

Arrow Prayer of Mending: 800 per jump for 390 mana (instant). Ah, not bad. An instant cast, 2:1 base mana efficiency (even if it never jumps, so 2:1 per jump, really!). Is the jump completely random?... does it work on self-inflicted damage? Many many questions. Smile

Arrow Circle of Healing: 475-525 to party members within 15 yards of target for 450 mana (instant). Okay, okay, settle down. I know it's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it's about as efficient as Prayer of Healing (figure it's more or less the same thing if you cast it twice), only instant, and thus benefits from Mental Agility. Is it worth giving up Divine Spirit?... Eh, probably not, but it's not completely hopeless.

(doh, out of time... to be continued)

Waverley

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Vutak's post:

Binding Heal: great when I'm healing the tank and I get a bit of attention as well. Slip it in now and then to get myself back up without losing heal time on those who need it more. Use it even more when I've received a bit of attention and someone else has too ( I used it on Telnadren yesterday Wink a few times). I like it.

Prayer of Mending: worthless, IMHO, though it is pretty cheap to use. 800 is not much to a level 70 of any class. No control over the jumping.

Circle of Healing: Would never give up DS for this.
Sethira
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to find a use for binding heal, though I think I may try to consider after this patch as the mana cost and threat will be reduced.

Prayer of mending is a good spell in my opinion if you only use it as a 300 mana, instant cast heal. You can not count on the jumping. If it actually jumps to some one who might need the heal, I just count it as a bonus. With +healing in the hi 600's it heals for ~1000 health. At 1200 +healing (a good raid amount) it should scale to 1200-1300 a pop. Not a bad heal for the mana.

Circle of healing is garbage. I am rarely this negative about a skill. Heck I even found a use for lightwell. But this talent, even if it were a freebie, would be almost useless due to range and targeting problems. Add in that its a 41 point talent and you can keep it. As Waverly said its not worth giving up DS. Its not worth giving up holy reach as far as I'm concerned. There are ways to fix this spell, but due to PvP balancing (blech, sorry PvPers) it would be OPed in the arena setting. It needs to be scrapped and re-worked, but thats just my opinion.

Vutak
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nod* Ah, okay. Point taken. I will defer to both of you on Circle of Healing, especially after taking a second look at the very pitiful amount it heals for.

I guess what I was hoping for was to take a good, long look at priest group healing to try and maximize that potential, as well as looking for nice synergies. Ounce for ounce, I think priests, druids, shamans and paladins can all heal individuals well enough, but certainly the big edge priests have is their multi-person heals (I consider Tranquility, though awesome now, to be somewhat of a last-ditch, because of its long cooldown). I was quite impressed with seeing how effectively Chain Heal can be used, and figured that priests would be even stronger for that, provided they use the tools at their disposal. It may even require a little adjustment in how the group tries to spread out their damage, but I think it's worth discussion.

Thoughts?

Leuchtende
Council Member

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sethira wrote:
I have yet to find a use for binding heal, though I think I may try to consider after this patch as the mana cost and threat will be reduced.

Prayer of mending is a good spell in my opinion if you only use it as a 300 mana, instant cast heal. You can not count on the jumping. If it actually jumps to some one who might need the heal, I just count it as a bonus. With +healing in the hi 600's it heals for ~1000 health. At 1200 +healing (a good raid amount) it should scale to 1200-1300 a pop. Not a bad heal for the mana.

I found Binding heal to be of great use in 5-mans (unfortunately i can't speak for raiding yet)... i've found it to be an excellent heal for say, when a pull goes awry or maybe a CC (hunter's freeze trap, shackle undead etc etc) was resisted... in such a situation while a mob or mobs are loose chances are while everyone is taking beating i'm going to pull some aggro myself while keeping the tank up. in that case i start throwing around binding heal to keep other clothies and leather wearers up (and if it's a really desperate situation i start dumping it on the tank too) while simultaneously dodging death myself...

As for prayer of mending i agree. i love that spell.
It's especially wonderful in situations where an off-tank is involved, because when done right all it does is bounce back and forth between the MT and the OT keeping their health nice and topped up.

Last edited by Leuchtende on Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sethira
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make some good points Leuch. I still do not use binding heal, mostly because I haven't tried to work it in but I still think its highly situational so that opportunity to try does not present itself often.

As for Prayer of Mending, I have found this to be one of my best heals. For starters it applies aggro to the target it heals, not the priest. The only aggro you get is from the casting of the spell. Its like casting a DoT/HoT but never getting a damage or healing tick. The thing I don't like about that is it also applies the healing numbers to the target on healing meters. I do not run a meter myself, but those paladins always look a lot better next to me because of it. Razz

In addition, it jumps to (in this order I think) the person with the lowest health bar or in the case of full health bars the person next on the threat list. That second part could just be a random jump, but I'm thinking not. More testing is required. Fantastic spell though, one of my favorites!

Anyway welcome to fold. Coffee is over there, advice is a /tell away and the 24 hour support counciler pretends she cares, but I know she's just a DPSer in disguise. Shocked Happy healing!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> Healers' Hall All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: