Bad Moon Rising :: View topic - Catching up on everyone's IC and OOC backgrounds

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in  

Catching up on everyone's IC and OOC backgrounds
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zicha
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Catching up on everyone's IC and OOC backgrounds Reply with quote

eh, I couldn't sleep and needed some reading material. Wink

I did learn a lot about my packmates and mainly it just confirmed everything I already know....WHAT AN AWESOME GROUP OF PEOPLE, IC and OOC!

I did learn some interesting things. Like Yig, who enjoys medieval combat recreation and leatherworking. I am an archaeologist who also works in experimental archaeology. Learning trades, crafts and techinques of past cultures. I have done a little experimental work in the medieval area, which mainly included wielding 14th and 15th century weapons from horseback. Long story but fun. Now I mainly work in flintknapping, spearthrowing and other Native American and prehistoric European hunting and gathering techniques. I also coordinate public education seminars for elementary and secondary schools on Native American Woodland culture.
So Yig, let's chat sometime. Smile

And Shuatahu....I was also on Bloodscalp after I parked Zicha on Shattered Hand and then Octal and I made chars on Twisting Nether the week it opened but we ended up transfering those chars here. We left TN about 2 weeks after TB opened and have been here ever since. I was ally on both servers and had my own small guild on Bloodscalp. *blush*

Rajindo: I used to write storyline for an LOTR NWN module. The guy that scripted and managed the mod liked my RP stories in the forums and had me write in a whole story line, quests and all for the druid class. Within a 3rd age LOTR world it was a challenge but fun. I have yet to play NWN2 as WoW comsumes all my time available for gaming but I hear it is awesome.

Anyway... did I mention the people of BMR are AWESOME?! Very Happy

Last edited by Zicha on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Shuatahu

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Catching up on everyone's IC and OOC backgrounds Reply with quote

Zicha wrote:

And Shuatahu....I was also on Bloodscalp after I parked Zicha on Shattered Hand and then Octal and I made chars on Twisting Nether the week it opened but we ended up transfering those chars here. We left TN about 2 weeks after TB opened and have been here ever since. I was ally on both servers and had my own small guild on Bloodscalp. *blush*

OOC Stuff:
Holy crap!! What guild? Khanzal is my character from Bloodscalp. I was in the Red Knights who later became No Good Deed. I still have friends there that I miss sometimes (but I don't miss the server).

I was also on TN too shortly after it opened ... are you stalking me? Smile

I am an applications developer for a financial company. Throwing primitive weapons from horseback is also part of my job. Well, I usually have visions of throwing primitive weapons from horseback after seeing what some people will do to an application.

*dreamfade*

Bill from Accounting: "I built a query that puts all the addresses in the database into one big field! Then I put the field on my report. It's great except all the addresses are smushed together. We'll ask the database guy to fix it."

Me: *Rides into the conference room on a black horse and wearing Braveheart face paint* "Bleeeaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!" *throws spear and rides out*

Bill from Accounting: "That was odd."

She of Spreadsheets: "I think that means 'no'?"

*end dreamfade*

In the immortal words of Scott Adams: "There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot."

IC Stuff:

Khanzal (Tauren Warrior) and Shuatahu (Tauren Shaman) are brothers. They played a small part in the reclaimation of Mulgore as the Tauren home (story pending ... very pending). Shu has gone on a spirit journey of sorts while Khan has ventured into Outlands.

Reynara (BE Hunter) met Shu in Silvermoon while she was still a member of the Farstriders. She and Shu exchanged stories about their homes. Intruigued about Tauren culture and their reverance for hunting (her own people don't care for Farstriders / Rangers), Rey ventured to Mulgore where she has partaken of the hunting rituals, spirit visions and generally has assisted the Tauren people whenever she could. (She is 3500 +/- into Revered with them.)

Random Outburst:

And BMR is teh awesomesauce! Smile

And, how would one get into experimental archaeology?
Zicha

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Catching up on everyone's IC and OOC backgrounds Reply with quote

[quote="Shuatahu"]
Zicha wrote:

And, how would one get into experimental archaeology?

small world. Smile

I am a full-time regular archeaologist most of the time. During the off-season, meaning the winter/non-field season, I am either collecting dead things, writing about archaeology, processing and cataloguing artifacts from the field-season, identifying bones, putting roadkill in cages, public education about archaeology OR experimental archaeology. Smile (If you want to know about my roadkill thingy...don't ask Octal. He isn't crazy about the body farm in the woods on our property Razz )

Experimental archaeology helps us understand more about the artifacts we find and how they were made, used, remade etc. It helps us put the pieces of the puzzle together a little better when analyzing and reconstructing a site.
Pack Alpha
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROADKILL???

*long silence*

I can just imagine what that kid of yours is going to take in for "Show and Tell" in the first grade...
Abindania
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little Abi information. Smile

I actually work for TPA (Third Party Adminstrator) that handles the back end processing for a major Variable Insurance Company. (Surprise it's serviced here.) I am presently working on getting my Series Six liscence which would allow me to issue Variable Life/Annuities. It would also give me the ability to do some trading. I am not in sells. I actually am the person you contact if you want to make changes to your contact; anything from name changes to surrenders.
I spend at least 6 of my 8 hours of work on the phone with clients inquiring about their policies.

What did Abi graduate college in....? I was an Art major and theater minor. My focus is on scenic art and design. Although in my little city there is not much need for someone of my training. So now I usually do Faux work on my own house and friend's.

Zicha, the funny thing is my favorite Art History is prehistoric art.
Shuatahu

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned above, I work in application / software development. My undergraduate degree is in Religion (related to Archaeology and Anthropology).
Kray Davenport
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with my father in marketing: we recruit Life and Annuity insurance agents. Similar to Abi, I spend most of my day on the phone with agents explaining products and discussing marketing concepts.

Prior to this, I spent 10 years in Atlanta as a filmmaker/videographer. I've worked on projects with no budget, tiny budgets and large budgets; my greatest achievements being getting one of my music videos on MTV, working with Faye Dunaway and David Carradine, and helping create an animated series for Cartoon Network's Adult Swim (which has yet to be greenlit...*frown*). Alas, the starving artists shtick grew old - as did I - and now I continue that artistic passion but hold a steady job with a nice income.

I love music, film, surfing, gaming, and my brother Jinba.

Last edited by Kray Davenport on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Redwater
Council Member
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat as Shu. I'm a computer software engineer. I actually did graduate college with it as a degree, as well as an associates in electronic engineering technology (which basically means I should be theortically able to fix your toaster if it breaks). I'm starting to feel uncultured around you people though. >.>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vutak
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm afraid I'm also hung up on the roadkill in cages thing. I mean... why in cages? I don't think they'll get away...

Shuatahu

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redwater wrote:
I'm in the same boat as Shu. I'm a computer software engineer. I actually did graduate college with it as a degree, as well as an associates in electronic engineering technology (which basically means I should be theortically able to fix your toaster if it breaks). I'm starting to feel uncultured around you people though. >.>

Hehe ... I have no training in repairing small electronic devices, but that hasn't stopped me from trying. I had a cassette tape player that I accidentally turned into a cassette tape catapult by trying to fix the door on it. Smile

Is the roadkill-in-cages thing to check on decomposition? I saw a Discovery Channel thing about scientists doing stuff like that.

I figured I'd also add some of my other nerdly activities:
- I used to paint small lead figures (mostly samurai) and mount them on woodchips. I'd add trees and stuff like that. Some were pretty neat. Then the lead figures became illegal. Sad

- I read a lot. I am currently finishing the Lord of the Rings and am on the third book of the Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin. I have read one of the Harry Potter books and thought it was good. Not sure if I'll read more though.

- I used to build my own computers. Then I realized that, for the most part, I just wanted something that works without having the occasional "heavy mystery" problems that can come with building your own machine. Since Dell, and other PC sellers, have taken to including more and more proprietary stuff in their machines, however, I'm debating whether or not I'll start building again.
Illiadra
Unknown

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work the government. Afraid I can't reveal any more than that! The life of an international super spy is a lonely one ... usually. Twisted Evil

I kid. Actually, I work for a company that does subcontract work for the government. Pharmaceuticals. Less than exciting.

I enjoy sculpting as a hobby. I'm not very good at it, but I do enjoy it. Very Happy

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a BA in History from the University of Colorado, emphasis on medieval/ancient. UC doesn't offer minors, but if they did I have the credits for English Lit. I got that degree when I was 32, by going part-time off and on, after quitting the first time after my sophomore year.

Supported myself for years by typing (or to be fancy from those days "word processing, technical data processing", training people on the old programs like Lotus and Word Perfect, writing manuals for Word Processing departments, proofreading - all defunct professions since Windows - everyone does their own typing now and the English language has suffered greatly Laughing ).

Quit working about 15 years ago to be a homemaker (always hated working, having kids is a great excuse to give it up).

Life-long avid reader: fantasy, murder mysteries, historical fiction, history and some other non-fiction, sci-fi. Everything except modern literary novels (no high brow stuff for me).

For fantasy my favorites are George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, Robert Jordan, Steven Erikson's Mazalan Tales, all the Harry Potter Laughing

For murder mysteries, my favorite current writers include P.D. James, Elizabeth George, Sue Grafton, Elizabeth Peters, and more. Love older ones too, like Christie or Ngaio Marsh.

Never made much money, but as long as we can pay for the WoW accounts, visit the library and rent a movie now and then, I'm good. Laughing
Sethira
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm happy to say that when I started my on-line gaming hobby I was hesitant to reveal what I did in fear of reprisal from internet kiddies who are just to young and biased to give me a fair shake. But BMR is just that fantastic that I don't mind telling you all.

I went to Penn State University for a degree in administration of justice. I now work in a small beach town in Delaware as a police officer. The town is very seasonal, going from 1500 full time residents in the winter to 20,000 visitors during the week and up to 40,000 on the weekends (higher for holidays)

So really what it means is that for 7 to 8 months out of the year I am a glorified house sitter, but once the summer starts I get all the experience of all but the craziest clips from COPS. So if Brecken seems a little testy sometimes, chances are his inner master just got his rear handed back to him in a tin can because he was classically stupid at work that day.

As for my non-work life, I am an avid reader, Fantasy first followed by Sci-Fi and then the classic. Hemingway is one of my favorites (Dickens is most certainly not!) and for those of you who can get into his particular style of writing, I strongly recommend The Sun Also Rises. It is one of the few books that put a genuine smile on my face as I finished the last paragraph.

And how can we forget video games? I played both console and PC games for a very long time but gave up on game consoles about a year after the release of PS2. Some of my favorites are the Final Fantasy series (dating back to the original on NES) to Ultima (particularly U5 and U6) The Elder Scrolls series and Gothic 1-3.

I am married, quite happily now, for almost 3 years. We've been together for almost 8 years however. My wife is currently back in school as she feels she finally found a career track that she can love. Neither of us is native to DE and we've made a few friends here, but most of our friends live out of state. We make plans at least twice a year to get the old crew together (as many as we can anyway) and relive the glory days. I also keep in touch with the boys by hosting an annual fantasy football league every year for the past 4 yours. (any BMRers fantasy football types? We can start our own tradition)

Anyway thats me in short. Happy hunting and I'll see you in-game!

Edit: And I see now that I have posted about twice what everyone else has. Who likes to talk? I do! Sorry for the life story ramble.

Edit edit: Having recently posted Cravish's history, I will only offer Brecken's here in short since Sethira and Ritallia have no serious backstory.

Brecken was a wealthy merchant of Lordaeron. He was not self-made but rather inherited his business. He did improve upon the profits by being greedy and cutting expense corners wherever possible, including employees and their wages.

Arrogant, pompous and greedy Brecken saw himself as more important than his station actually was. He spent much of his non-working time at court and pretended as though he were an aristocrat and the more polite people in society let him pretend. During this time he has met the King and Prince Arthas though though only once and only in passing. They of course would not remember him at all, but this only spurred on his vision of self importance. It is during this time that Brecken commits a fair number of bad acts upon his fellow man and someday there will be RP stories to tell the tale.

Upon his death to the plague and subsequent resurrection, Brecken sees his new life as a chance to reverse his old ways. Though he is much the same person that he was, he now makes a conscious effort to be a better person and embraces the priesthood deliberately as a means to balance his karma.

Over time he begins to believe in the priestly practices he has forced upon himself. His allies recognize the change in him and send him on a fool's errand as an emissary to the living Horde. Brecken finds Algora, the troll mage and then den mother of Bad Moon Rising. She listens to his tale and the rest as they say is history.

Last edited by Sethira on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keryn
Pack Alpha
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No WONDER your schedule is so crazy, Sethira, even aside from the winter/summer thing.

Me, I'm an analyst programmer for a direct-mail insurance company. The only really odd thing about the job is the commute: 50 miles each direction, every day, from the big city where I live to the claustrophobically-small town where the company is located.
Jinba
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blush from Kray's comment* Love ya too bro.

I work for CitiCards. I'm a VP of marketing where I run the search engine optimization arm of the company. Most of my day is trying to sell more credit cards on Google and Yahoo but I also consult with various business arms worldwide and speak a few times a year at search conferences.

My undergrad is in Philosophy with a minor in Asian Studies. I'm currently working on my Masters in Practical Philosophy and Applied Ethics. That's the long way of saying we look at ethical and moral theories and how they apply to our lives (business ethics, medical ethics, just war theory, etc. If you look at the hubbub over the poor Terry Schiavo, that gives you an idea what we discuss). Utilitarianism, Kantianism, Virtue Theory, etc. etc. Also discussed the possibility with a professor of writing an "Ethics of MMORPGs" book someday. I think people's morals in a virtual world are different than in the real world and that difference should be looked at.

When not in school, I teach T'ai Chi at the beach, play keyboards in my band, read comics, pamper my wife, dabble on my blog and podcast, listen to alot of music (The Eraser by Thom Yorke is unbelievable), and work on the house and the yard. Oh, and work VERY hard to not play WoW all day long. I've never played a MMORPG before (though i grew up on video games) but totally freakin addicted to this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: