Bad Moon Rising :: View topic - How's my driving...? AKA: Am I Doing This Right?

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in  

How's my driving...? AKA: Am I Doing This Right?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leuchtende
Council Member

Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: How's my driving...? AKA: Am I Doing This Right? Reply with quote

I apologize ahead of time. To me this seems a little too much like a, "My Gears, let me show you them" kind of a post but i'm genuinely curious to see if i'm stacking stuff properly (i.e. do i have too much of X stat.. should be adding more of Y etc etc).

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thorium+Brotherhood&n=Mausse

That's Mausse's armory profile.
My ultimate goal is to have a prot tank (i'm primarily Arms at the moment), and as i get him closer to Outland, i'd like to make doublely (is that actually a word?) sure that i'm gearing properly for those instances and also for my final spec.

any pointers are much appreciated.

Ps.
i do have a shield in my inventory, it's http://www.wowhead.com/?item=10835
and i use http://www.wowhead.com/?item=10823 for my tanking weapon at the moment.
Nibaw
the Titleless

Items

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where to begin.....

No, I mean seriously I don't.
When you have your 'tanking set' on, let me know, and I'll evaluate the gear. If you want to get an opinion on a spec, go use a talent calculator and I'll give an opinion.

Outland makes gear decisions a bit odd outside of instance drops. You will replace everything withing 2-3 levels of getting it. You can try to balance it, and hunt that perfect piece to round out a set, but its a bit silly when you'll be out leveling the gear before you can balance it. Basically, if you are wondering how I'd approach stat balance, look at my profile. Ask questions and I'll answer them. Health, armor, def, and str... more or less in that order.

I do have a few questions for you. When are you planning on going Prot, and if it's before 70, do you know how you are going to level? It can be done (Nibs spec'd prot in the low 30s) but unless you have a dependable questing friend, or an insatiable desire to instance (like the same 2 instances ... visiting each one 10-20 times before moving on) its going to go slow. Maybe not as slow as it is for a solo holy priest (much love to my healers) but it's a pain.

p.s. that shield sucks.
Council Member

Items

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hEhe, that sounds less than favourable.
at present i only have that one "gear set".
So that's what i've been using for the moment...
i haven't really branched out into having multiple sets just yet.

Spec i'm not entirely worried, i'm pretty confident that i can make decent descisions for that. This really is more of a gear related question.

After reading what you mentioned though it may have been a little too early to make such a post, on my part. heheh

as for the shield, yeah, i figured it's probably not THE best thing for me to have... Running around with something that has +int on it does feel really silly... but it was better than what i had previous... i was using that one from SM for an uncomfortably long time.

But yeah, i'll poke around in your armory when i get a second... i don't know why i didn't think of that in the first place.
Saphiel
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a difficult thing to judge because of the way itemization and the whole tanking paradigm take a big shift once you get to Outland. One thing you'll find soon enough is that your gear choices are laid out pretty clearly: if a piece of plate has +crit it on it, it's probably a DPS piece. If it has +dodge, +def, and/or +parry, it's probably a tanking piece. There are only maybe a half dozen high-end pieces I can think of that blur the lines, and you generally want to avoid those pieces.

At 70, the real important minimum benchmarks (for a Kara-level, anyway) are: 490 defense (uncrittable) and about 11k HP unbuffed, plus probably about 30% combine dodge/parry, minimum. Once you're past 490 defense, stacking dodge and parry is better (armor is important also, but somewhat hard to actively stack), and stacking stamina is widely considered the best. +12 stam gems, stam enchants, and Clefthide Leg armor are all key there.
Osan
Unknown

Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things.

First. Imp rend is not worth the 3 points. You'd be much better off spending those points elsewhere. Since I see you are Duel Wielding you are probably gaining at -most- 3 or 4 damage per tick on your Rend.

I suggest putting those points into Cruelty. 3% to crit would increase your damage and your threat immensely.

Second. I'm not sure if you Duel Wield all the time or not, but try to pick up a two hander if you are Mortal Strike spec. The reason for this is because Mortal Strike does weapon damage and then some. The slower the 2hander the better. The reason for this being that Mortal Strike is an instant attack, and slower weapons generally have higher weapon damage to make up for their slow swing rate.

As far as tanking stats, Razi covered it very well.
Leuchtende
Council Member

Items

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razikaal wrote:
It really is a difficult thing to judge because of the way itemization and the whole tanking paradigm take a big shift once you get to Outland. One thing you'll find soon enough is that your gear choices are laid out pretty clearly: if a piece of plate has +crit it on it, it's probably a DPS piece. If it has +dodge, +def, and/or +parry, it's probably a tanking piece.

Heh yea, wow... you weren't kidding about this...
i feel really silly now having made this post so early on... Yeesh...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> The Citadel All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: