Bad Moon Rising :: View topic - Food 'n' Things

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in  

Food 'n' Things
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rajindo
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Food 'n' Things Reply with quote

Food! bread, chow, eatables, edibles, fare, foodstuffs, grub, meat, provender, provisions, table, viands, victuals, vittles, rations, aliment, nutriment, sustenance, mess, feed, fodder, forage, slop, swill, feast, meal, repast, spread, board, dish and good ol' gnosh.

Everybody eats at least once in their life...and most seems to have a recipe they love.

I thought I'd make a thread to discuss food in all its forms. Post recipes you love, new things you've tried, methods of cooking, the pros and cons of fast food (for our traveling guildies). Whatever you like.

Last edited by Rajindo on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rajindo
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start us off. This past 4th I had a go at barbequing. I had, I have to say, one of the best meals I've ever made.

Included was a t-bone steak, quartered and grilled potatos and corn on the cob in a basil garlic sauce. I found all the recipes online and only made a few small modifications (which I'll list along with the recipes).

To Start!

Corn on the Cob with Basil-Parmesan Butter

A very tastey way to have corn and quick to make.

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic

4 ears corn, husked

1. In a small bowl, mash the butter ingredients with the back of a fork and then stir to distribute the seasonings throughout the butter.

2. Brush about 1 tablespoon of the seasoned butter all over each ear of corn. Grill over direct medium heat (350°F to 450°F) until browned in spots and tender, 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling. Serve warm with the remaining butter spread on the corn.

Makes 4 servings

[I have tried corn grilled in the husk and while it seemed slightly more tender the above recipe is so much more flavorful I think it's well worth it.]

Next

Grill-Roasted New Potatoes

2 pounds new potatoes, each 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter, scrubbed and quartered
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients and stir to evenly coat the potatoes. Grill over direct medium heat (350°F to 450°F) until tender and browned on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes, scooping and turning with a wide spatula every 5 minutes or so. Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling. Serve warm.

Make 6 to 8 servings

[The one change I made to this recipe was using a basil olive oil instead of the extra virgin. I think it added quite nicely to the recipe. These taste like large yummy frenchfries but without the icky oily taste you get from deep frying]

and Finally

Giant T-Bone Steaks with Lone Star Rub

Rub
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1-1/2 teaspoons pure chile powder
1-1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 T-bone steaks, 12 to 16 ounces each and 1 inch thick
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 limes, cut into wedges (optional)

1. In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients.

2. Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Lightly brush or spray both sides of the steaks with the oil and then evenly coat with the rub, gently pressing the spices into the meat. Grill over direct high heat (450°F to 550°F) until cooked to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, turning once (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect high heat).
Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling. Transfer the steaks to a work surface and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes before carving. Serve warm with the lime wedges, if desired.

Makes 4 generous servings

[The best steak I've ever had. I made a few changes to the recipe though. First I used Ancho Chili pepper powder. The different chilis taste very different so I may just recommend you pick one you most enjoy. Secondly I didn't actually use any oil on the steak. The rub was applied directly to the meat and seemed to adhere well. Finally, if you look at the other two recipes they take longer than the steak to cook but require a lower heat. I cooked the potatos and corn first and then added a few handfuls of hickory chips to the charcoal to raise the heat. It worked great also lending a bit of a smokey taste to the meat (and smelling nice while cooking heh)]

Alright I hope that was interesting. Feel free to post your own recipes or ask questions. This is a discussion thread!
Rajindo
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see we have a mess of dieters in BMR right now Laughing Well I've been experimenting and thought I'd add my latest recipe.

If you have take out chinese very often you've probably tried some General Tso's Chicken. Unfortunately I've found it can be almost impossible to get a properly spicy meal at a restuarant. Now you can make it yourself and spice to your own preferences!

The General's Spicy Chicken

Marinade

2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Cornstarch

12 Ounces boneless chicken breast cut into 1/4 inch pieces

Sauce

2 Tablespoons Hoisin Sauce
2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Water
1 1/2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Sesame Oil
2 Teaspoons Sugar
1 1/2 Teasoons Hot Pepper Sauce (I used Siracha Hot Sauce but I'd think Garlic Chile Sauce will work as well)

------------------------

2 Tablespoons Cooking Oil (My preference is for Peanut Oil)
10 Small Dried Red Chiles
2 Teaspoons Finely Chopped Garilic
3 Green Onions cut into 1 inch pieces
\\\\\\\\\\\\
I also added:
1 can of Water Chesnuts
1 handful of thinly cut carrots

Combine the Marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl.

Place a wok or wide frying pan over high heat until hot. Add the oil, swirl to coat sides. Add the chiles and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add the chicken and garlic; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the onions and sauce [also add the chestnuts and carrots]; cook until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Continue cooking to caramelize or until all pieces are well coated, about 1 minute.

The recipe is courtesy of Martin Yan (minus the parts I added of course).

I found this meal to be quite pleasant. However, the sauce is very sweet. The next time I venture this I think I may cut the sugar in half (or even possibly remove it entirely). As always the nature of the meal will vary with the ingredients used and the hoison sauce I have tends to be very sweet (as well as the siracha sauce now that I think of it).

I hope you enjoy this dish! Very Happy
Rajindo
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing For Waverley's benefit here's some non haute cuisine.

Quite awhile back I ran across a ramen packet called Picante Beef. It was a nice spicy beef broth ramen. To my great sadness Maruchan discontinued my picante beef Sad . However! One day I got to thinking.... Picante Beef is probably just regular beef seasoning with spicy stuff added right?

So I bought a mess of beef ramen and started experimenting.

My results:

1 packet Ramen Noodles - beef flavor
2 dashes of ancho chili powder
2 dashes of spanish chili powder
1 dash of cayenne pepper
1 dash of ginger powder

Just follow the terribly complicated instructions on the package Razz and add the spices along with the flavor packet. Mix Well!

As a side note I like a bit of sharp chedder with saltine crackers to go with my ramen.

Other Note: there's all sorts of ways to mess with ramen but I've found adding some green onions is quick and easy (and gets rid of vegetables that I wasn't going to use otherwise).

Last edited by Rajindo on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Zicha
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Bay Scallop and Grapefruit Ceviche with Avocado and Radish Reply with quote

This is a nice summer dish, very easy to make and requires no cooking. Healthy, tasty and dieter friendly. Citrus juice 'cooks' the scallops.

Bay Scallop and Grapefruit Ceviche with Avocado and Radish

Ingredients
For the marinade:
3 grapefruit, zested and juiced
3 lemons, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 serrano chili, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme leaves
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

For assembly:
1 pound fresh bay scallops
4 scallions, white and light green parts only, sliced thin
1/2 cup minced red onion
1/2 cup small diced red bell peppers
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro leaves
3 tablespoons freshly chopped Italian parsley leaves
6 cups baby salad greens (mesculin mix is great)
3 avocados, peeled and medium diced
2 large, sliced very thinly (on mandolin if you have one)

The marinade
Combine all marinade ingredients except for olive oil in the blender. Blend until well combined and slowly drizzle in olive oil. Pour into a bowl and reserve.

Assembly
In a nonreactive (glass or ceramic) mixing bowl combine the scallops, scallions, onion, peppers, cilantro, and parsley with the marinade, this mixture is the ceviche. Dress the avocado lightly with some of the leftover marinade. Allow to marinate, covered in the refrigerator, for 2 hours. Place the greens on a large serving plate. Using a slotted spoon, remove the ceviche and place on top of the greens leaving some of the marinade behind. Place the avocado over the greens. Fold the sliced radishes into the ceviche. Drizzle a little of the marinade over the plate and serve.

Items

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to try your General's Chicken, Raji! Octal LOVES the General's Chicken but it is never spicy enough from the restaurant. This should do the trick! Thanks!
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I'll have to point Temmy over here to check out that General Tso's. We love chinese food - we've found a local place THAT ACTUALLY DELIVERS!! *faints* Apparently, that's a rarity in SE Michigan for some bizarre reason. And they have STEAMED dumplings! The weirdo's around here tend to only serve 'em fried. *makes a face* It's almost like being back in NY. Even the lo mein tastes right!

Anyway, they make a great Dragon & Phoenix (General Tso's chicken and GT's shrip). Tem loves the shrimp part of it. I like the chicken part of it. But day 1, it's usually just vaguely spicy. When we order enough to have a 2nd meal of it, the next day it's nice and spicy.

Redwater
Council Member
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'll have to share one of my favorite dishes I think. I may have to check this over when I get home tonight though, to make sure I remembered everything...

2-4 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
1 lb Chedder Cheese
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 4oz can diced chilies
1 cup sour cream
2/3 cup milk
12 corn tortillas

Mix and cook soups, sour cream, milk and chilies until warm to hot. Layer this thinly into the bottom of a baking dish. Layer 6 of the tortillas on top of this, followed by 1/2 the chicken and 1/2 the cheese. Repeat with the rest of the mixture, followed by the rest of the chicken, then the rest of the cheese. Cook in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes covered (foil works best) followed by 15 minutes more uncovered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Waverley

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime you guys start a thread with your fancy-do, gourmetish and healthy recipes, I feel like posting one that features Velveeta Wink
Redwater
Council Member
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I don't think mine qualifies as healthy OR fancy. Wink Bring on the Velvetta!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vutak
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*raises his hand* Does anyone have a good bread pudding recipe?

Rajindo
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had bread pudding actually. It looks like something my mother would have made but we never had leftover bread I don't think.
Waverley

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, bread pudding. My mom loved it (and I hate it) and she lived alone, so her recipe is for one serving! Quadruple it and you should be good to go.

Bread pudding:

1 egg
1/2 cup milk (nothing less than 2%)
2 teaspoons sugar
pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg

Mix these and add 2 pieces of toast torn into little pieces (I'm assuming a hearty white bread would be best).

Bake at 375 for 33 minutes (yes, her recipe card says 33)

Sauce for bread pudding:

2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/2 cup water
Cinnamon to taste

Bring to a boil, stirring till thickened.

Mom was always dieting - the pudding has 320 calories; the sauce has 120.

Now for the VELVEETA recipes!

Chili con Queso to Die For (and I mean that literally):

2 pounds Velveeta (cubed)
6 slices bacon
2 medium onions (diced) or one large (they all seem large these days)
2 tomatoes (diced)
2 small cans diced green chiles
1 small can diced jalepenos

Fry bacon, set aside. Saute onions in bacon fat (now we're cookin'). Add cheese and melt. Add chilies, crumbled bacon and tomatoes. Serve.

I tell you, this queso is awesome.

Mostaccioli Casserole (375 calories per serving = 1/12 of casserole)

1 lb. ground beef
1 cup chopped (not diced) onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 16-oz cans diced tomatoes (can use fresh, of course)
2 6-oz cans tomato paste
1 cup water (not necessary, the juice from the diced tomatoes is enough)
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
16 oz. package mostaccioli pasta, cooked and drained
1 lb Velveeta, in 1/4 inch slices
grated Parmesan

Brown the meat. drain. Add pepper and onion; cook till tender. Add tomatoes, paste, water (if used) and seasonings.

In large casserole dish, layer pasta, meat sauce, and one half of the Velveeta. Repeat pasta and meat sauce. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Top with remaining cheese and sprinkled parmesan. Return to oven till cheese melts.

If you are not a Velveeta fan, you will not like this casserole. If you are, you have died and gone to heaven.
Brecken
Not so Grand High Poobah
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only make two things worthy of mentioning that don't come from a can, so here goes.

Spicy Turkey Burgers

1lb ground turkey
1 egg
1 tblspoon red chili falkes
1 tblspoon garlic powder
1 cup crushed cheese flavored crackers (like Cheeze-its or Cheese Nips)

The cheese crackers are the secret ingredient here. Just crush them up into bits, not too fine. Simply mix all this together in a large bowl and form into four patties. Place on the grill on a med high heat for about 7 minutes a side. They should start to crust ever so slightly but have a really juicy center. If you like spicey, try topping with some pepperjack cheese. I also find some thick slices of cheddar offset some of that spicy flavor.

*Warning! These are really spicy! You could take out the spice but then they'd just be regular ol' fashioned turkey burgers.

Last edited by Brecken on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Merell
Council Member
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divine Noms...

Strawberries, packed with cream cheese, pressed into brown sugar.

Pop into mouth... make noises...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: