Food 'n' Things
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keryn
Pack Alpha
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After horrifying everyone with the giant cadbury egg, I thought I'd make it up to you by posting something a little less likely to induce sugar-shock.

Last night's loaf:

The formula for this recipe originally came from my favorite bread book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

- 454 grams bread flour (I use King Arthur whenever possible)
    - 19 grams sugar
    - 9 grams salt
    - 6 grams instant yeast (I use SAF Gold, which is an osmotolerant yeast formulated for using in sweet doughs. Regular instant yeast will work, but you may not get as much of a rise.)
    - 5 grams powdered cinnamon
    - 1 egg
    - 26 grams butter cut into slices and at room temperature
    - 114grams milk
    - 170 grams water (I am usually using up extra milk and just make both these measurements milk.)
    - 170 grams raisins
    - OPTIONAL! 170 grams walnuts. I never use them, they make my mouth and throat prickle ominously.

Combine ingredients in the order listed. I generally let everything but the raisins mix for a little bit before adding the raisins.

Knead until the dough parts are smooth and stretchy, adding a little bit of flour to keep it from sticking to your hands at first. I use a mixer to do the kneading, which takes about 6 minutes on speed 3.

Place in a large bowl. Cover (I have a big plastic dough bucket with a snap-on lid) and allow to rise until doubled, about 2 hours at 65F.

Shape dough into a loaf. This video shows the shaping process pretty well.

Now, I bake my bread on a hot pizza stone in my oven. I don't know how this recipe will behave in a loaf pan or if it will overflow. You may want to divide the dough in two and bake it in two pans if you don't have a pizza stone, but I don't know.

If you are using loaf pans, let the loaves rise in the oiled pans, covered (fruit flies ADORE bread dough). If not, let the loaf rise upside-down on a floured pastry cloth inside a colander or similarly shaped item. This is what mine looks like.

Allow the loaf to rise until doubled, which is about a hour at 65F.

Preheat the oven to 350F. If you are using the pizza stone, give it an extra 10 minutes or so to finish heating up, since your oven's thermometer isn't taking the mass of the stone into account.

Invert the loaf in the colander onto a sheet of baking parchment on the back of a cookie sheet or on a pizza paddle and gently brush or blow the excess flour from the surface.

Using a very sharp knife, slash the top of the loaf/loaves from one end of the dough to the other, about 1" deep or thereabouts.

Slide the parchment paper onto the stone or place the loaves on the oven rack.

The freeform loaf takes 50 minutes to bake at 350F. If you're doing it in loaf pans, you're on your own for time but it shouldn't be TOO different.

Remove bread from oven and take out of pans if using. Cool on a rack.

WAIT FOR THE BREAD TO COOL. This is the hardest part. But if you slice it before it's cool, it will turn to mush.

Eat.
Keryn
Pack Alpha
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo, this is my kinda site:

Eat, Game, Live

I especially like the sound of the Suppressive Fire Multishot Chicken.

*ponders recipes to go with her favorite Druid spellnames*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: