Bad Moon Rising :: View topic - Suggestions for Duel Spec Priest

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in  

Suggestions for Duel Spec Priest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waverley
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Suggestions for Duel Spec Priest Reply with quote

Well, I haven't healed in years, but I can afford the 1000g. Suggestions for the talent spec? I was discipline back in the day. I don't even know what most of the golden glowie buttons do anymore.

And about gear? are there still special healing pieces or no?

I'd appreciate some suggestions, if anyone has the time.
Leuchtende
Council Member

Items

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to open by saying i'm no professional on this matter... seriosuly... i get by with guessing and people don't seem to ask questions....
>.>

<.<

but this is my take on the matter...

Holy spec is all about the big numbers, straight up. The heals you dish out can be monstorous (and if you need to use Guardian Spirit, 21k+ greater heal crits are not uncommon). You can often top off a damaged DPS player with a single flash heal as holy (within reason of course).

Circle of Healing is an obvious plus point to the spec... who can argue with a 5 player (6 when glyphed) Raid wide AoE smart heal? And Guardian spirit is a downright incredible (borderline overpowered) talent that makes for great "OH S***" moment recovery...

Holy is very much like the fast burning bright candle...
I don't know that it's a huge issue once you're geared right up.... but as far as mana efficiency goes, this is where the spec kinda hits the metaphorical brick wall (Serendipity helps slow this process down a little though).

As far as gearing for holy, spirit isn't a massively huge as it used to be (it's still an important stat yes, but it's not be all and end all)... Since the release of the 3.0 talents, there's kind of a weird leaning towards using more crit than you would probably figure... specially with talents like Holy Concentration and Improved Holy Concentration.

As Discipline, your heals may not be as mind blowingly huge, however, this is made up for in your ability to mitigate damage. There's a -huge- emphasis on using Power Word Shield. I had tested this with Vutak at one point and the shield managed to hold up through about 9 or 10k worth of pummeling... So basically, if the cooldown is up and your desired target (i.e. the tank) doesn't have the weakened soul debuff you should be tossing it out there.

Power Word Shield becomes a bread and butter spell...
If someone is taking focused damage, PW:S gets applied first (assuming availability of course) then move through the healing motions from there.

Penance is a wonderful talent... it's basically a greater heal spun out in about a second and makes for a beautiful recovery spell (it also becomes your primary large heal... Greater Heal kinda takes a back-seat if Penance and PW:S are off cooldown).

As far as gearing Disc, spellpower and crit are huge.
Spirit is still good for regen purposes (which obviously shouldn't be neglected), but that's all it does for a disc priest and as long as you're spec'd into rapture and keeping PW:S up as much as possible regen's not a big problem.

As far as gear in general, there is no longer "healer gear" per se...
There's a very loose acceptance that pieces with Mp5 on them are more healer orientated (in contrast to +hit which is naturally, DPS only), but that's about it...

Uhmmm...
off the top of my head that's all i can come up with without going into huge detail about both trees and the spells.

I'm sure i'll be editing my post multiple times as i catch my redundancies, poor grammar and as people point out my foibles.. but yea... hopefully this wall of text is helpful to you.

...and now, here's a picture of a cat pushing a watermelon out of a lake.

EDIT:
TL;DR version:
Holy tree - Massive heals, great AoE /raid healing. Poor mana efficiency
Disc tree - Great mitigation and single target healing abilities (think Paladin Lite). Poor AoE / raid healing ability.
Cat Pushing watermelon out of a lake - EPIC
Morgainae

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leuchtende wrote:

Holy is very much like the fast burning bright candle...
I don't know that it's a huge issue once you're geared right up.... but as far as mana efficiency goes, this is where the spec kinda hits the metaphorical brick wall (Serendipity helps slow this process down a little though).

i have found that once geared and spec'd properly that i very very seldom run out of mana. Spirit is a very important stat for the holy priest. Especially with talents like Spiritual Guidance in our trees, which if spec'd contributes spellpower up to 25% of your total spirit. And you will get more mp5 from spirit-heavy gear, rather than straight up mp5 gear which is more intended for dps, other healing classes, OR your disc priest.

I managed to heal CoS heroic within the timed event without stopping to drink at all as holy. That said, I did pop my shadowfiend twice. Both times I was not completely out of mana, but figured more wouldn't hurt. I don't find mana efficiency to be a problem, but that is IF you have the gear to support it. Spec'ing down into Disc far enough for Meditation doesn't hurt either. Wink

Not trying to start any conflict, just wanted to point out that Holy is not entirely mana restrictive.

Waverley

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate both your comments. I think it might be fun to try Holy out, since I've never gone down that road, just to see.
Leuchtende
Council Member

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgainae wrote:
i have found that once geared and spec'd properly that i very very seldom run out of mana. Spirit is a very important stat for the holy priest. Especially with talents like Spiritual Guidance in our trees, which if spec'd contributes spellpower up to 25% of your total spirit. And you will get more mp5 from spirit-heavy gear, rather than straight up mp5 gear which is more intended for dps, other healing classes, OR your disc priest.

I managed to heal CoS heroic within the timed event without stopping to drink at all as holy. That said, I did pop my shadowfiend twice. Both times I was not completely out of mana, but figured more wouldn't hurt. I don't find mana efficiency to be a problem, but that is IF you have the gear to support it. Spec'ing down into Disc far enough for Meditation doesn't hurt either. Wink

Not trying to start any conflict, just wanted to point out that Holy is not entirely mana restrictive.

It isn't entirely mana restrictive, no. Comparitively speaking however, assuming equal workload, Holy priests will burn through mana faster than Disc priests.

Spirit vs Crit is probably entering the border of personal playstyle; I may have uninentionally sounded like i was downplaying it too much... As i mentioned it is still important (naturally you would still enchant for it, as an example) but ye olde days of stacking spirit are over, in my opinion...

Mp5 in general is meh for priests, even as disc you're still getting more bang for your buck out of spirit (generally). The whole Mp5 = healer gear thing just seems to be the general consensus in regards to the "specific healer gear" question.
Saphiel

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, mp5 gear is pretty terrible for every healing class except *maybe* Shamans, and crit may be better for them. I hope they buff it or something, because right now nobody really wants it.
Janka

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the changes to spirit in 3.1? Will that mp5 gear look better then?
Not so Grand High Poobah
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janka wrote:
What about the changes to spirit in 3.1? Will that mp5 gear look better then?

The short answer is yes. Because of the (depends on how you read it) 40% nerf to spirit, MP5 will improve by default. But even so, spirit should still be more important to a holy priest than MP5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> Healers' Hall All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: