Bad Moon Rising :: View topic - Zonewide ICC buff active after today.

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Register Log in  

Zonewide ICC buff active after today.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> The Great Hunt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tripe
Unknown

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Zonewide ICC buff active after today. Reply with quote

http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/icecrown-citadel-zone-buff-blue-posts/

Basically, +5% Health, damage, and healing.
Heti
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just had to make it optional so people who beat icc without using it can feel superior Razz
Tortolia
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we got Festergut down first, but this should streamline future runs.

I've heard that on a long enough timeline it may approach a 30% buff.
Heti
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tortolia wrote:

Heh the 30% thing is in the link.
Tripe
Unknown

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tortolia wrote:

*Fight Club flashback*
Tortolia
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heti wrote:
Tortolia wrote:

Heh the 30% thing is in the link.

Yup, saw that after my post. I knew it was starting at five but until the thirty percent was datamined I wasn't sure if that was real or just common speculation.
Saphiel
Friend of Bad Moon Rising

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heti wrote:
They just had to make it optional so people who beat icc without using it can feel superior Razz

I realize you're joking but I, for one, wish that we'd gotten farther before the buff came out.

It's not about elitism, it's about the "cheat code" factor. I used to love cheat codes when I was a kid, I'd god-mode through DooM on more than one occasion. But after awhile too easy becomes too boring.

I do recognize that there is a line between challenge and frustration and it's a pretty easy one to cross. I think we've maybe crossed it on Rotface but as far as ICC that's really it (and then it's only because we have killed him and not being able to kill him again sucks). The buff is probably ultimately necessary for us, I just wish it wasn't, I guess.
Heti
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey we got deathwhisper before she was nerfed that's not something too many people can say.
Redwater
Council Member
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to this that while the buff is in, we don't have to always use it. Consider it an extra hard mode. Once we can reliably down him, we start trying without the buff.

We were close with RotFace last night, and I'm glad that we downed Festergut when we did. It felt good to be able to do that. We should plan on revisiting both as time goes on, both with and perhaps without the buff to see what we can really do. That was the fun thing about cheat codes to me. Yea, they make things easy, but you can always turn them off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Heti
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except big head mode, never turn of big head mode.
Keryn
Pack Alpha
Site Admin

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put this into perspective a little bit:

My "other server" is a normal realm called Elune. They're #58 in the US progression over at WoWProgress. Elune's an older realm than TB, by a year. They have a population of 20,000 compared to TB's 9,000.

The guild I am semi-associated with is Fusion(A), not that I'm in it, but in that it grew out of the alliance formerly run by the guild I do belong to. They're MUCH more hard-core than BMR is both in recruiting and in performance requirements. I certainly don't qualify for their raid. They also have a larger pool of potential applicants, with a 20K server population. They've done the Ulduar hardmodes multiple times and have at least one completed Val'anyr.

In spite of this, they're still only two bosses (Putricide and Valithria) ahead of us and they're #12 on their realm. Their overall rank in the US is 5223. With the exception of Bloodrite(2708 in the US), our entire SERVER is behind them in progression (BMR/GROWL is 11135 in the US.) And even on the #58 server, only one guild has downed the Lich King on 25-man.

The point I'm making is that this isn't an easy instance even for a much stricter guild on a server more than twice the size of our own (Elune Alliance census stands at about 13,000, which is bigger than all of TB put together.)

The buff is ultimately necessary for large numbers of people, not just us. We may not be Ensidia or even Bloodrite, but compared to the rest of the population of this game, we don't suck just because this buff is going to be necessary to get us the rest of the way through the instance.
Tortolia
Pack Mate

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing is that a 5% buff is not going to trivialize the content one bit. What it will do is make it faster to do the content we already one-shot every week and lessen the attempts it takes for us to kill the bosses we know we can kill. Getting consistent weekly emblems and drops to gear everyone up is going to do more to aid progress than the buff until it becomes sizeable.

Consistent weekly shots at Dislodged Foreign Objects and smoother kills will aid morale and progress in a way that "raid buff" kinda oversimplifies.
Saphiel

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know 5% isn't going to change things substantially, but 15 or 20% will.

I'm aware of the numbers and their implications in terms where we stand versus the rest of the population. I guess the thing I get hung up on is that discrepancy between our top 25-30% or so and then everybody else. I think it probably comes from the fact that I'm a lifelong gamer, but I have trouble wrapping my head around exactly why, to put it bluntly, some people aren't better.

I just sort of assume that everyone is taking the relatively small amount of time it should to read the guides I've conveniently linked to. I think to *not* do so is blatantly disrespectful to the work that some other people put in. If I were Monkey or Tripe or Vaeldrin (to name a few) I'd be kind of annoyed when I was pulling nearly twice the DPS of other players because they simply don't care enough to do a modicum of research. Along the same lines are people who continually mess up the same things but refuse to or don't bother installing mods to help themselves (and their raidmates by extension).

Then for the rest I assume it must be a lack of coordination or reaction time or multitasking or general understanding of the game, which obviously I can't and don't hold against anyone. I just can't really relate.

But if we could somehow get everyone up into that upper 25% range we could easily rival Bloodrite or whomever else, even only raiding 2 days a week.

Sorry if this came off as harsh or critical. I want to make clear that I don't harbor any festering resentment toward our less hardcore players or anything. Here's a fun(?) game to test coordination and multitasking by why of apology: http://m0fu.eu/?id=638 Whee!

Last edited by Saphiel on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saphiel

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, to put that all more succinctly:

I don't have a problem with not performing well. I have a problem with being complacent about not performing well.
Kun
Raid Partner

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saph, I'm not able to follow that link. Something broken, or did they deprive us of our game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bad Moon Rising Forum Index -> The Great Hunt All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: